Town of Warrensburg Celebrates 200 Years
For Immediate Release
February 15, 2013
Contact: Ann McCann
Warren County Historian
The Warren County Board of Supervisors, on behalf of the residents of Warren County, proudly commemorated the 200th Anniversary of the Town of Warrensburg at the February 15th Board of Supervisors Meeting. A proclamation was presented to Warrensburg Town Supervisor and Chairman of the Board Kevin Geraghty, by Budget Officer Frank Thomas of Stony Creek. In addition to the proclamation, a framed print of the 1891 Burleigh Map of Warrensburg was also presented. Town officials, the Warrensburg Historical Society and members of the Warren County Bicentennial Committee were on hand for this presentation.
The Town of Warrensburg was officially established on February 12, 1813, a hamlet first known as “The Bridge”. Warrensburg was developed as a result of its vast tracts of accessible soft wood forests and a 70-foot drop in the Schroon River in its last three miles before entering the Hudson River, thereby providing ample opportunity for water power necessary for the production of lumber and tanning of leather.
Warrensburg has prospered throughout its 200-year history, first through the development of four sawmills and later two grist mills and a tannery, as well as in the production of potash which put the town in great demand for agricultural and industrial purposes.
The Warren County Board of Supervisors extended appreciation to all, whose efforts over the past 200 years, have contributed to the quality of life enjoyed today in the Town of Warrensburg and the County of Warren. This event marks the second in a yearlong agenda of recognition of the Bicentennial of Warren County. Visit the Bicentennial website for information on Bicentennial events, photo gallery, “Where’s Warren” student history quiz and more!