1813 – 1913
There are 3 buildings that make up the Historic District of the village of Chestertown. These were officially recognized and place on the Historic Register in 1978.
The Church of the Good Shepherd was organized in October 1876. The present church building was built about 1883, at a cost of $2500, under the leadership of Rev. Clement Whipple. It was consecrated May 3, 1884. The new Parish Hall was added in 1954 after the former Parish, which had been across the street, was sold. This parish hall now houses the Warren County Head Start Center for the Town of Chester.
The Fowler House was built in the early 1800’s. Charles Fowler was a Chestertown merchant. His sons, Byron and Joseph were prominent Glens Falls business men. The three buildings of the Historic District were part of property once owned by Fowler. It is now The Chester Inn, a bed and breakfast operated by Bruce and Suzanne Robbins.
The Main Street Ice Cream Parlor building was built in 1912 as a high school for students in Chester, Horicon, Hague and Johnsburg. It served as a school until 1935 when the new central school opened. It was a glove factory in World War II and an antiques shop. The Town purchased it in 1960 and it became the Town Hall for the Town of Chester. The museum of Local History was located on the second floor. In 2001 the town offices moved to the former North Warren High School building. The Robbins family purchased the building and opened the Main Street Ice Cream Parlor in 2005.
The Wells House in Pottersville was built about 1845 and enlarged to its present size in the 1860’s. Travelers to the Adirondacks could take the train to Riparius, and then take the stage to the Wells House. It became known as a midway rest stop for travelers on their way to Schroon Lake. In 2003 it
was bought by Paul and Shirley Bubar and restored. In 2006 it was awarded the Adirondack Architectural Heritage Award.
The Pottersville United Methodist Church - 1810 was the beginning of organized Methodism in Pottersville. In 1835 a Sunday School was organized and in 1847 a church building was constructed, That building has been enlarged and renovated over the years and is still in use today.
1913 – 2013
Chestertown Central School was opened in 1935. When North Warren Central School was formed from Chestertown, Pottersville and Horicon Schools, this building became North Warren High School. In 1999 a new North Warren Central School building was erected. The former Chestertown Central School then became the Town of Chester Municipal Center with an Open House Dedication in July 2001.
Pottersville Central School was built about 1936. When North Warren Central School was formed, this building became North Warren Middle School. When North Warren Central built a new school, the former Pottersville Central School building was sold to Word of Life and is now their headquarters.
Panther Mountain House This was the residence of the Faxon family. In 1923, the Wertime family purchased the property and operated the Panther Mountain House. It was completely destroyed by fire in 1941. It was rebuilt and continued operation until 1956.Thomas Carroll purchased the property about 1957. Tom and his wife, Margaret operated the Panther Mt. Inn for more than 50 years. In 2010 it was purchased and reopened by Don & Darlene Butler and Keith Wilkinson.
Black Bear Tavern – Stuart and Helen Mead Sr. purchased the Brown Homestead in Pottersville around 1925 and moved from New Jersey to Pottersville in 1929-1930. In the early 1930’s they built a roadside stand and acquired native animals, one of which was a black bear cub who loved ice cream. By the time they sold the property in 1945 it was an ice cream/hot dog stand with walk-up windows and gas pumps out front. Bill and Delva Stetson bought the property about 1950 and it became the Black Bear Restaurant. The bar was added in the mid 1950’s. Today the Black Bear Restaurant and Bar is owned and operated by their son, Butch Stetson.