Milton Crandell of Glens Falls
Milton was born on November 16, 1894 in Glens Falls and died on June 11, 1967 at his home, 69 Coolidge Avenue, Glens Falls. His father was Hubert Crandell and mother Vira Mills. He married Beatrice Wilcox on June 26, 1920 in Glens Falls. Beatrice died on June 3, 1985 in Glens Falls. Mr. & Mrs. Crandell had two children Jeanne Lee (Mandewelle) and Mills Blackburn Crandell. Milton’s father owned the first flower shop in Glens Falls (1869) on Warren Street. The greenhouses were behind the Crandell residence at three Harrison Ave. Milton’s brother was Bradshaw Crandell an artist.
Milton graduated from Glens Falls High School in 1913 and received his bachelors in Architecture from Cornell in 1917. During WW I he was a civilian employee at Camp Grant in Illinois where he was engaged in construction work.
In 1920 Milton and Louis L Wetmore purchased the architectural firm of Harold McDowell. Offices were located at 42 Glen Street between Canal and Park Streets. In 1923 Mr. Crandell entered business for himself with offices in the Masonic Temple. During World War II he went to Austin, Minnesota with the George A. Hormel Co. for post war development followed in 1946 by the reopening of his office in the South Street School building where he stayed until 1957. Five Grove Avenue became the home of the firm until it closed in 2011.
Milton Crandell retired in 1966 with a testimonial dinner at the Queensbury Inn (Hotel) being held on December 22. Joseph Ottenheimer was master of ceremonies with the following speakers; General Ernest Harmon, President Emeritus of Norwich University as guest speaker, Robert Hayden of Norwich University, Dr. Raymond Whitney, president of Green Mountain College, Assemblyman Richard Bartlett, Francis McGinley of the Board of Regents of the State University, Peter Austin of the Binghamton Brick Company, Robert Larson of Glens Falls National Bank, William Bird, Charles Whitney and Donald Perkins of Crandell Associates, Mills Crandell his son and Beatrice Crandell his wife all speaking of Mr. Crandell’s many accomplishments. Jeanne and Arnold Mandewelle his daughter & son-in-law were introduced and his granddaughter Miss Renny Hayden played the guitar and sang.
Mr. Crandell was a member of American Institute of Architects, Christ Church Methodist, Kiwanis Club, Senate Lodge 456, Glens Falls Country Club and served on the City Planning Board from 1955 to 1965.
Buildings designed by Milton Crandell included many homes in the greater Glens Falls area, Warren County Municipal Center, Adirondack Community College Campus, Washington County Office Building, Glens Falls Hospital 1939 construction and many additions since then, Ridge Street Fire House, Superintendent and Nurses homes at Westmount Sanatorium, Kensington Road Elementary School, Glens Falls National Bank & Trust Company buildings, First National Bank buildings and many local school district buildings.
For Norwich University, Northfield Vermont Campus Milton designed the Cabot Hall of Science building in 1950, Ransom Dormitory in 1951, Whitehall Chapel drawings done in 1955, Physical Education Building, Student Union 1955, Dining Hall, Administration and Academic Building, Dormitory Buildings, Ice hockey rink drawings done in 1955 and Renovations to the library and Jackman Hall. At Green Mountain College all buildings built from 1952 – 1966 was designed by Milton along with the Castleton Teachers College of Vermont Science Building and Classrooms in in 1955.
He also served as Associate Architect with Tooker and Marsh of New York in the design of Big Cross St, Broad St and Jackson Heights Schools in Glens Falls.
Previous: John Alden Dix