People of Importance, The First Hundred Years
John Thurman was baptized in the Dutch Reformed Church, New York City, July 8, 1730. His father was John Thurman and his mother was Elizabeth Wessels.
Hyde Township containing 45,000 acres was granted to Edward and Ebinezzer Jessup and 38 others, (one was John Thurman) September 10, 1774, by King George III. Through Jessup's attorney, Peter Van Schoack, New York City, John Thurman bought out shares of the 39 others. Under the date of March 22, 1788, the legislature of New York passed an act authorizing the Commissioners of the Land Office to convey by grant to John Thurman the twelve (12) townships in the Jessups Patent estimated to contain 24,000 acres.
The grant was made May 5, 1788, for the sum of 1400 pounds of sterling and on the eighth day of May, 1788, said sum was paid and receipted by Gerrard Banker.
For building a road from Lake George to Johnsburg, John Thurman received 7000 acres. For building a road from Chester over Landon Hill to Schroon Lake, John Thurman received 8000 acres. He was to build a road he could ride over so he had his oxen hooked to a two wheeled cart. Martin Landon drove the oxen and Thurman rode over the road. John Thurman and General Schuyler had the contract for clearing the land for the Champlain Canal from Half Moon to Wood Creek. John Thurman organized a company to clear the trees and rocks in the Hudson from New York City to Albany. John Thurman erected a grist mill, a saw mill, and a calico works (the first in America), and carried on extensive farming at Johnsburg. He was a merchant of New York City and had extensive holdings in the city. His store was on the corner of Smith Street, now William Street, He owned the post office building, Wall St., at the time of his death.
John Thurman was gored by a bull on September 27, 1809, at Bolton. The bull that he purchased from John Richards. He was buried in the churchyard at Johnsburg.
John Thurman's property: one-half went to Ralph Thurman, a quarter to Nicholas and a quarter to his sister, Elizabeth Roosevelt Gilchrist.
john Richards was born April 13, 1765 in Llanuwchllyn, North Wales and died April 18, 1850 in Lake George New York.
John Richards a Welsh immigrant, 1790, arrived at Remsen-Utica, New York area. John then moved to Bolton Landing and during 1795 moved to Wevertown, New York.
John was a State Surveyor and in 1796 surveyed thousands of Adirondack acres in the Military Tract, Moose River Tract and Totten and Crossfield Patent.
John Richards was the first supervisor for the Town of Johnsburg in 1805 and he served for the next 15 years.
He was a New York Assemblyman during the War of 1812 and appointed to the New York State 1821 Constitutional Convention.
Judge of the Court of Common Plea from 1805 to 1850 serving in the Lake George and Johnsburg area.
He was a Federal Congressman from 1822 – 1825, under the Presidency of James Monroe
David Noble was the founder of Methodism in the Town of Johnsburg. David was born in Terrahen, Ireland in 1734 and he died in Arlington, Vermont in 1807.
In 1798 John Thurman met Davis Noble and persuaded him to visit his new colony in what is now called Johnsburg. The result was that in about 1800 the Noble Family moved from the city, erected a log house in the new colony and began clearing off the forest. Noble had converted to Methodism under the preaching of John Wesley in Ireland.
Mr. Noble immediately opened his home for Methodist meetings.
The primary Methodist preaching place in Johnsburg for many years was on the Noble premises, a private dwelling house, but as the members of the congregations increased the meetings were held in the school houses of two adjoining neighborhoods.
The Church was incorporated in 1838. Catherine Dunn donated a lot adjoining the cemetery and a contract was left to Summer Nelson to furnish materials and build a church. When he failed to complete the church John Dodgson took the contract to furnish the materials and finish the church which was completed in 1843.
David was by trade a stone-mason.