Historic Buildings, The Second Hundred Years
1330 was begun in 1913 by Truman R. Temple, Deputy State Master of the National Patrons of Husbandry, a fraternal and ritualistic organization which grew as one of the great rural organizations in the United State following the Civil War in 1867. In its heyday the local group grew to over 200 members. They gathered for twice monthly meetings every Thursday at first and then on Friday. The original northwest corner at The Oneida on the corner of Bay and Sunnyside roads contained a large framed house where dances and oyster suppers were popular. In 1921, a bond for $4000 enabled volunteer workmen to excavate and install the foundation of a new Grange home and community center on the site. Lumber came from nearby Hogtown in Fort Ann. In the rural neighborhood the new building served as a crossroads between Glens Falls and East Lake George. Social life here centered around dances, dinners, chicken barbeques, pumpkin and strawberry festivals and craft and flea markets. The Grangers also undertook service activities that helped people. Many of their members were active politically, being elected to town and county posts and judgeships. The Grange Hall was finished in 1923 and remained a symbol of rural residential life for eighty more years. As agrarian life dwindled, the membership also dwindled and today the building is for sale. An earlier Grange organization Mountainside 1328 housed at Dunham’s Bay no longer exists.
Queensbury Town Hall
Queensbury Town Hall is located at the corner of Bay and Haviland Roads. The building was constructed after George Webster’s election as town supervisor in 1959. Prior to this time there were no government offices in the town with each officer holding the town’s records in his or her home. Prime land on route 9 north of Quaker Road, owned by the town, was sold to Cale Development for a major new mall. Monies from the sale were used to purchase land north of Haviland Road on the Elmer Fowler Farm on Bay Road for the new town site that was built on two levels. This was accomplished without any bonded indebtedness. The Senior Center and the Highway Building were later added to the complex. All of the town’s records are now housed in the facility.
One Room schools/Queensbury Union Free District Campus
Twenty six one room schools dotted Queensbury from the beginning of public schools in NY State in the early 1800s. Following World War II the growth of the town led to a desire to consolidate the schools into a union free district. This effort was led by H. Russell Harris. The first district school was opened in 1950 with 609 students. The Floyd Bennett Airport on Aviation Road was selected as the school site which grew into a large campus for 4000 students in K-12.
Sanford House was the home of David and Amy Sanford, early settlers in Queensbury. They came from Connecticut and brought the Palladium window which may be seen on the front of the house today. Following the early death of David from spotted fever contracted from the troops stationed here during the War of 1812, his widow married Aaron Folger and the house was subsequently occupied by George Sanford, the McDonalds and the Havilands. Today the Sanford House is on the National Register of Historic Places and is owned by Carolyn and Robert Rudolph.
Bay Ridge Central Firehouse
Bay Ridge Central Firehouse is a modern up to date $1.75 million firehouse constructed on Bay Road north of Sunnyside Road in 2001. The fire company was founded in 1949 and eventually operated two stations, one at 195 Sunnyside Road and the other on Glen Lake Road. Both were replaced with the new building. Today, five fire companies operate in Queensbury with over 200 members.
Warren County Municipal Center
Warren County Municipal Center is the seat of Warren County government located on Route 9 in Queensbury. Warren County was formed in 1813 and named in honor of the Revolutionary War patriot, General Joseph Warren. The county offices were originally located in Lake George Village. The present municipal center was built in 1961. The center houses the county’s administration, sheriff’s department, county jail, county and state courts, and the new social services center.
Mountainside Free Library/Owl’s Nest
Mountainside Free Library/Owl’s Nest is located on Route 9L at Dunham’s Bay . The library was constructed in 1904 on property donated by Elwyn Eggleston, the son–in-law of Edward Eggleston and with funds from private donors and from Andrew Carnegie, the industrialist who established public libraries around the world. Edward Eggleston a 19th century writer and historian lived nearby at his summer home, Owl’s Nest where he wrote “The Hoosier Schoolmaster” and other histories. This summer home is on the National Register of Historic Places.