Important Places, The First Hundred YearsBlind Rock
Blind Rock is a large gneiss boulder left by the receding Ice Age thousands of years ago. It is deeply embedded beneath the soil. While four feet of rock was exposed at one time, gradual wash from the hill has left a small portion visible today. The rock is located a yard or two from the route of the Old Military Road and about twenty five rods to the east of the present Route 9 on a farm originally owned by William Miller and now on private property owned by the Kapoor family. The rock has a large cleft or cracks which some believe to have been caused either by freezing and thawing or by fires made by Native Americans. The rock was considered the dividing marker between lands held by Britain and France at the time of the French and Indian War (1754-63). Folk tales tell of fearful travelers being captured and tortured near the site. Plans to develop a mini park to preserve this historic site are underway. An historic marker has been placed on Route 9 near the rock.Johnson’s Old Military Road
-Plank Road-Route 9 –roads in Queensbury ran north to south as they were carved out in the early days of the settlement of the town. The Military Road was a strategic part of the Great Warpath, a Hudson River-Lake George-Lake Champlain water route linkin the Atlantic Ocean to interior Canada. Travellers to this area had to portage the 16 miles between the Hudson River and Lake George. Whoever controlled this portage which bisected Queensbury controlled the warpath. At the onset of the French and Indian War (1754-63), Major General William Johnson and his troops built the Military Road in three days to ensure passage for advancing troops and artillery. Thousands of troops passed on the road on their way from Fort Edward to Fort William Henry to mount campaigns against the French. Following the war the road went into disuse with some evidence of its being soon lost. When the Plank Road was built from Glens Falls to Lake George (1847) signs of the road were found. Later Route 9 was constructed becoming a modern macadam road. This north-south road remains today with the Northway running parallel to it.Old Quaker Burying ground
– The Old Quaker Burying ground at the corner of Bay and Quaker Roads is the site of the first cemetery in Queensbury. It houses the graves of the pioneer settlers of Queensbury. In accordance with Quaker tradition at that time, graves were not marked. Today the Wing family marker, the Bicentennial marker and the historic site marker clearly delineate the area which also housed the Quaker Meeting house and school. Overtime the 80 burials were forgotten and property deeds dropped the notation of the burial site. An archeological study in accordance with planning for a small mall at the site in 2002 located the eighty gravesites and their subsequent deeding of the property in perpetuity to the Town of Queensbury. This significant preservation effort has saved one of the most important historic landmarks in the town. The town’s founder, Abraham Wing, is buried here.Hamlets
– Jenkins Mills and Assembly Point (a lake hamlet) – As a largely agrarian community in the 19th century, small hamlets developed in parts of the town. These settlements were usually marked by a crossroads with a store, blacksmith, or post office where nearby neighbors gathered to purchase supplies and to socialize. Some twelve identified hamlets and neighborhoods emerged in Queensbury, each taking on an identity of its own. Palmer Jenkins moved with his family to Queensbury in 1795 from Dutchess County. In 1814, he bought land on both sides of Long Pond Outlet (Glen Lake) and built a dam north of his home. Here he started a sawmill, gristmill and cider mill. He also built houses for his sons and daughter. This hamlet was called Jenkins Mills. The mill operated until 1915 when the dam was broken. DeWitt Clinton Jenkins, Palmer’s son, was a teacher in the town and a builder of many barns still found in the town. Solomon King Stuart, a Civil War soldier, made his home in Jenkinsville. Gwinup’s Store, originally operated by Dorrance Branch, was located at the edge of the hamlet at Ridge and Jenkinsville Road. Other hamlets include The Oneida, Harrisena, Brayton, Top O’ The World, French Mountain, West Mountain, West Glens Falls, and South Queensbury.
Assembly Point was named for nearly all the area separated from the mainland by Dunham’s Bay Creek. About 1765, the land was included in a grant from the King of England. The name Assembly Point may have originated with Dr. Drury Sanford who purchased Long Island in 1871. By the 1880 camp meetings and assemblies became popular. On June 30, 1890, the Lake George Assembly was incorporated and 40 acres deeded to it by the four owners. An air auditorium was constructed and noted speakers and preachers came to the area to speak. A steamboat dock also built in 1890 to accommodate the Horicon and Ticonderoga enabled people to reach the point. The grounds contained promenades in front of cottages which sprang up. Horses and vehicles were not allowed without special permission. The Assembly declined in the early decades of the 20th century. From 1915 onward the point was divided further. By 1940, the last original lot was sold and owners established a new association called “Otyokwa” to control the inland lots and preserve them for common recreation or to keep them forever wild. Today, the Assembly Point Association keeps the original spirit of the Assembly. Other lake hamlets include Cleverdale, Kattskill Bay, and Pilot Knob.
Feeder Canal – the Feeder Canal flows through the Town of Queensbury, the city of Glens Falls, and the village of Hudson Falls and past the Town of Moreau. In 1817, the New York State canal system between Waterford and the Great Lakes near Niagara F alls was begun. The Champlain Canal was begun the same year opening in 1823, two years before the Erie Canal. Problems with water in the summit level of the canal from Fort Edward and Fort Ann led to the feeders being built. Wooden locks later replaced by hammer-dressed stone made for a sound system. Eleven locks including the Five Combines mark the last surviving artifact of the original Erie Canal period system. The Feeder Canal carried logs, lumber, limestone, cement, coal and paper products in a thriving economy in Queensbury and Glens Falls. After 1930, the canal was no longer commercially viable. Today as part of the NYS Barge Canal System, the feeder is used for recreation with Feeder Dam Park and Havilands Cove Park on the canal trail.
Imperial, Hercules, Ciba -Geigy- In 1903 George Tait came to Imperial Wallpaper Company to direct the manufacture of wallpaper made from purchased paper stock using pigment from an outside source. In 1907, Karl R. McBride a chemist from Pittsburgh Wallpaper Co joined the firm to look into the manufacture of organic pigments. McBride remained with the company over 50 years guiding its research. He became President and Board Chair over time. New colors were introduced and Mill # 1 was built to produce red and yellow pigment for paints, printing ink, leather, textiles, surface coatings, and paper trades. In 1929, Tait Paper and Color Industries reorganized to become Imperial Paint and Color. During World War II, pigments for anti-corrosive coatings and green for camouflage were made. By 1955 the company was into inorganic pigments. KR McBride died in 1957, a tremendous loss to the firm. In 1960 the company became a department of Hercules Powder, the 14th largest chemical manufacturer in the United States. By 1962 Imperial Wallcoverings was sold to H. Block and Co of Ohio and then to Collins and Aikman. In 1979 Hercules Pigment became an arm of Ciba-Geigy, a 200 year old color firm from Ardsley, New York with its parent company in Basel, Switzerland, the 7th largest chemical company in the world. With new research breakthroughs and competitive products along with unfavorable monetary exchanges the company was finally willing to sell what was a $15 million payroll in 1986. Ciba-Geigy closed in 1987 putting 500 workers out of jobs. Workers retooled, retired or set up their own businesses. The Ciba-Geigy buildings were demolished and today the 45 acre plant site is closed. Stained or potentially contaminated debris was transported offsite for disposal as hazardous waste. Hercules and Ciba-Geigy have a cooperative agreement whereby Hercules is managing the corrective measures at the site and Ciba retains ownership of the site. A master development study plan for the site is underway in 2012-2013.
Seeley Cemetery (Edward Eggleston) – is located at Dunham’s Bay on Route 9L on the Joshua’s Rock Estate. A family cemetery, it contains burials for the Seelye and Eggleston families. The site contains ten stones many of them being slate slabs over the graves resting on four low cement blocks. Over two graves are two arches with dates in Roman numerals. Dr. Edward Eggleston, a nineteenth author wrote “The Hoosier Schoolmaster” along with histories for school children. His nearby home, the Owl’s Nest, is on the National Register of Historic Places. Eggleston died in 1902 and is buried in the cemetery along with many members of both families.