Thurman Churches – and the Centennial Marker
The early settlers brought their faith with them, and it is not surprising that, given the number of Scots in the first waves of settlers, the earliest known church was a Presbyterian meeting house. It was a very simple structure, built in 1806 very near Stephen Griffing’s house, and one could assume on land that had come from his farm. It was erected by the Athol Presbyterian Society and served a congregation drawn from all towns in the area.
In 1830, the name of the society was changed to "The Warrensburg and Athol Presbyterian Society" reflecting the growth of that town. In 1848 the old meeting house was moved to William Griffing’s farm next door, to serve as a wagon shed. It served the farm as an outbuilding well into the 20th century.
Today, between the former Stephen Griffing home and its present neighboring property, stands an obelisk erected to commemorate that meeting house and to honor the Warren County Centennial of 1913.